what the hell is this about?

Several friends have embarked on their own P365 journey but as I have no camera nor an eye for photography I've decided to try to complete "a doodle a day" for an entire year. Most will be in my little Derwent A5 sketch book but some could end up being from the corner of some document or scribbled on a newspaper. As the year progresses I will try my hand at inking them as well?

If some of them don't make sense, don't worry, they're probably not meant to. You may notice there will be certain themes along the way and if you know me you'll know why.

I hope you enjoy.

Okay, here goes, every day til I'm 39.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Day #90 - Aeon Flux


Hawk and I were watching Ghost in the Shell today which got me thinking about Aeon. Vic and I are watching Salt tonight which also got me thinking about Aeon, I think the coolest thing about Aeon is her strength and Independence whilst having softer side with her crush on Trevor Goodchild.

I first started watching Aeon via MTV's Liquid Television back in the early 1990s, Les, Mitch, Ed and I used to sit around watch old dodgy VHS recordings I'd made of it, it was a very very cool show. (Mitch bought me the official tape a year or so later)

Liquid Television was a 30 minute show made up lots of different segments each lasting a couple of minutes, it was the launching pad for Beavis and Butthead as well as Aeon and Stick Figure theater. It was also the first time that I got exposed to the Fleischer Brother's works with Koko's earth controls, still blows my mind how cool that was considering it was done in 1928! check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ysCS1NB0zE this was produced the same year Disney released Steam boat Willie (Mickey)! which do you think is better?

anyway I digress...

I think the thing I loved about Aeon, apart from the amazingly cool artwork and the ultra cool characters was the fact that in the Liquid Television shorts Aeon died every episode so you knew it was coming but you just couldn't pick when.

After the success of the shorts on LT they syndicated a series and then in 2004(I think) they made the live action version starring Charlize Theron, I haven't seen it myself but apparently it's not too bad?

I roughed this just after lunch today and left it sitting next to my laptop, when I came back to it this evening I found that Mika had made a contribution to it, the fact that she didn't scribble all over the page made me happy but also made me leave her little contribution, maybe she thought the blank piece on the left needed something on it.....anyway I'll shut up now because Vic is hassling me to go and watch Salt.

1 comment: