what the hell is this about?

Several friends have embarked on their own P365 journey but as I have no camera nor an eye for photography I've decided to try to complete "a doodle a day" for an entire year. Most will be in my little Derwent A5 sketch book but some could end up being from the corner of some document or scribbled on a newspaper. As the year progresses I will try my hand at inking them as well?

If some of them don't make sense, don't worry, they're probably not meant to. You may notice there will be certain themes along the way and if you know me you'll know why.

I hope you enjoy.

Okay, here goes, every day til I'm 39.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day #85 - Happy Birthday Mullen


Today is Rodney Mullen's birthday. He turns 44.

Who is Rodney Mullen you ask?

He was undefeated in freestyle competition from 1981-1989. (NEVER BEATEN!!)

These are the greatest, most influential skateboarders that have lived, Tony Alva (the original), Christian Hosoi (power and ultimate style), Tony Hawk (flips, tricks & spins), Mark Gonzales (street pioneer) and Rodney Mullen (everything else you can think of and more)

Rodney's parents wouldn't let him ride halfpipes or bowls when he was young because he broke his arm, instead he set his mind to flatland and boy are we lucky he did.
This is his clip from the Powell Peralta video Future Primitive (1985) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUc6QMr6Dk8 I can't remember how many times I watched this completely mesmerised.

Now if you think that was impressive (and I really hoped that you watched it) then watch this to see what he has become and you'll understand why http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wQj320COrg&feature=fvw he is simply the greatest skateboarder of all time.

yep, that's right, the greatest of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment