what the hell is this about?

Several friends have embarked on their own P365 journey but as I have no camera nor an eye for photography I've decided to try to complete "a doodle a day" for an entire year. Most will be in my little Derwent A5 sketch book but some could end up being from the corner of some document or scribbled on a newspaper. As the year progresses I will try my hand at inking them as well?

If some of them don't make sense, don't worry, they're probably not meant to. You may notice there will be certain themes along the way and if you know me you'll know why.

I hope you enjoy.

Okay, here goes, every day til I'm 39.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Day #74 - Dakuan


After doing Totoro the other night it reignited my love of Japanese animation and so all I could think of today was "Ninja Scroll", this is another must see if you appreciate anime, not in the class of Miyazaki but in a different class, it belongs with Akira and Ghost in the Shell and Patlabor yet apart from the very poor "fist of the North Star" it's the only decent film set in Feudal Japan. It follows three main characters, a vagabond ninja name Jubei, a poisonous female ninja Kagero and the government spy and leader of the trio Dakuan (dark-u-wan), together they must defeat the 8 demons of Kimon (although Jubei almost single handedly beats them all) and confront the reincarnated Gemma to stop them stealing a boat load of gold which is to be used to overthrow the Japanese government.

Dakuan is a cool dude and a dirty old man to boot.

I freaked out when I met a priest in Japan wearing the exact same outfit because all I could think of was Dakuan.

Quite happy with how this one turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment