what the hell is this about?

Several friends have embarked on their own P365 journey but as I have no camera nor an eye for photography I've decided to try to complete "a doodle a day" for an entire year. Most will be in my little Derwent A5 sketch book but some could end up being from the corner of some document or scribbled on a newspaper. As the year progresses I will try my hand at inking them as well?

If some of them don't make sense, don't worry, they're probably not meant to. You may notice there will be certain themes along the way and if you know me you'll know why.

I hope you enjoy.

Okay, here goes, every day til I'm 39.

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Day #216 - the Gonk issue


As anyone whom knows me knows me, I love Star Wars, so I'm able to overlook blaring errors and holes that some say exist in the saga but looking back at them as an adult I see a few things that really stand out.

It seems that Lucas wanted a large variety of robots for his films so in each movie appears a whole plethora of 'droids' but what stands out now for me is their purpose beyond filler?

case in point, the Gonk droid, it has two human-like legs and looks like a mobile cigarette vending machine. What was its purpose? what did it do? I mean C3P0 is obvious, he's a translator and R2D2 is like a futuristic mechanic, auto-electrician and storage device.

But what the hell did the Gonk do? it just seemed to walk around (very slowly) saying "Gonk, Gonk", then there was that little mouse type of droid that got scared by Chewbacca, was that the comic relief droid?

It doesn't really matter though, I'll always love Star Wars.

on a side note, I was listening to "You've come a long way baby" whilst doodling this, it is truly a brilliant album, I think it's one of Norman's best.

No comments:

Post a Comment