what the hell is this about?

Several friends have embarked on their own P365 journey but as I have no camera nor an eye for photography I've decided to try to complete "a doodle a day" for an entire year. Most will be in my little Derwent A5 sketch book but some could end up being from the corner of some document or scribbled on a newspaper. As the year progresses I will try my hand at inking them as well?

If some of them don't make sense, don't worry, they're probably not meant to. You may notice there will be certain themes along the way and if you know me you'll know why.

I hope you enjoy.

Okay, here goes, every day til I'm 39.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Day #205 - the day the art died


44 years ago today one of the fathers of animation died and with him the creative beauty of his company died, what remained and remains to this day is a capitalistic greed driven juggernaut.

It is truly a shame.

I still can't believe that Walt got his head cryogenically frozen? I don't understand why he only got his head frozen.

I think that's where Futurama got their inspiration from for their hall of heads.

World War II killed the Fleischers and when Walt there was only Walter Lantz and Otto Messmer left. Pat Sullivan had passed in 1933.

Most of you would not have heard of all of these guys, the Fleischers were on par with Walt, producing cartoons like Koko the clown, Betty Boop & Popeye to name a few, they invented the rotoscope camera which is still in use to this day, Walt I don't need to describe, Walter Lantz animated the very popular Oswald the Rabbit and later Woody Woodpecker and Otto Messmer and Pat Sullivan produced Felix the Cat, this is an interesting one and quite a contentious issue around whom created Felix but I believe it was Pat, too much evidence supporting it and unknown to most is that Pat Sullivan, my mother told me that I'm related to him in some way which is quite cool.

Pat Sullivan a Sydney boy created one of the most popular cartoon characters of the silent era.

all I remember about Felix is that he had a bag of tricks and if he reached into it you'd laugh so much your sides would ache and your heart would go pitter-pat watching Felix, the wonderful cat.

oh, I'm really happy with how Donald turned out but the rest are dodgy. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment