what the hell is this about?

Several friends have embarked on their own P365 journey but as I have no camera nor an eye for photography I've decided to try to complete "a doodle a day" for an entire year. Most will be in my little Derwent A5 sketch book but some could end up being from the corner of some document or scribbled on a newspaper. As the year progresses I will try my hand at inking them as well?

If some of them don't make sense, don't worry, they're probably not meant to. You may notice there will be certain themes along the way and if you know me you'll know why.

I hope you enjoy.

Okay, here goes, every day til I'm 39.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Day #206 - Walter Lantz


Last night I spoke of Walter Lantz, whilst he was a great animator and a marvellous producer he was a thief.

Oswald Rabbit is one of the most famous cartoon characters of the silent age, whilst credited to Lantz it's actually a creation of Walt Disney and when you look at him you can easily see the likeness of Mickey in him.

anyway, his other most famous character was Woody Woodpecker, he concocted a story about how he got the idea for Woody whilst on his honeymoon, there was a noisy woodpecker outside their lodge and he and his new bride couldn't sleep because of it, how could people not figure this one out, the last thing you want to do on your honeymoon was sleep.

As it turned out, Woody Woodpecker debuted 1 year before Lantz's honeymoon and was actually the work of someone else and Lantz nicked it!


No comments:

Post a Comment