what the hell is this about?

Several friends have embarked on their own P365 journey but as I have no camera nor an eye for photography I've decided to try to complete "a doodle a day" for an entire year. Most will be in my little Derwent A5 sketch book but some could end up being from the corner of some document or scribbled on a newspaper. As the year progresses I will try my hand at inking them as well?

If some of them don't make sense, don't worry, they're probably not meant to. You may notice there will be certain themes along the way and if you know me you'll know why.

I hope you enjoy.

Okay, here goes, every day til I'm 39.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Day #199 - Kirks


I was stuck for what to draw tonight, then I noticed it was Kirk Douglas' birthday.

It got me thinking about John Kricfalusi, you see John's hero is Kirk Douglas, which I find a bit weird, I mean here's a guy that worked for Hanna Barbera and created one of the most memorable cartoons of my generation (Ren and Stimpy) so you'd think his hero would be an artist, a cartoonist etc but no, it's Kirk.

So, I tried to draw Kirk, I know I'm not good at drawing portraits of people so I thought I'd just give it a go, if it went bad I'd do it again, so, it went bad, but then I used what I learned in that drawing and drew a second one, I was very happy with the second one so I tried to take it up another level by doing it a third time but unfortunately made him look more George Bush than Kirk.

So I could have easily have titled this entry "quit whilst you are ahead"

I was too tired to post it on Thursday night so I saved it till Friday.

Not sure what to draw for 200?

Any ideas?

P.S. weird side note, Billy West voiced Stimpson J Cat (Stimpy) in Ren & Stimpy, he is the same guy that voices Fry, the Professor and Dr Zoidberg in Futurama

No comments:

Post a Comment