what the hell is this about?

Several friends have embarked on their own P365 journey but as I have no camera nor an eye for photography I've decided to try to complete "a doodle a day" for an entire year. Most will be in my little Derwent A5 sketch book but some could end up being from the corner of some document or scribbled on a newspaper. As the year progresses I will try my hand at inking them as well?

If some of them don't make sense, don't worry, they're probably not meant to. You may notice there will be certain themes along the way and if you know me you'll know why.

I hope you enjoy.

Okay, here goes, every day til I'm 39.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Day #198 - the puppet that taught me how to draw


Yesterday the guy that created Mr Squiggle passed away.

to this day I still don't understand how they got a marionette to draw so accurately?

I used to habitually watch the Mr Squiggle show, after all, he was the man from the moon.

but he was far from the coolest character, for some weird reason which even now I don't understand the other non-human characters were a talking blackboard called 'Blackboard' (okay, that's not odd) but then there was a talking Steam Shovel, I don't even know what a Steam Shovel is? I mean were there steam powered tractors? yet this was like an excavator? then the strangest of the lot was a snail with a TV set on his back? oh and of course Mr Squiggle's rocket which was somehow alive and not just a rocket?

Norman Hetherington created a show that he expected to run a couple of episodes but instead it ran for 40 years and was at one time the longest running show on Australian television.

Some things the ABC do are just awesome and I thank them and Norman for inspiring me to draw 35 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment