what the hell is this about?

Several friends have embarked on their own P365 journey but as I have no camera nor an eye for photography I've decided to try to complete "a doodle a day" for an entire year. Most will be in my little Derwent A5 sketch book but some could end up being from the corner of some document or scribbled on a newspaper. As the year progresses I will try my hand at inking them as well?

If some of them don't make sense, don't worry, they're probably not meant to. You may notice there will be certain themes along the way and if you know me you'll know why.

I hope you enjoy.

Okay, here goes, every day til I'm 39.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Day #242 - Happy birthday Rocket Rod!


from as long as I can remember I would get taken to the Parramatta Speedway to watch the Sprintcars race by my Uncle along with my cousin Rod, Rod and I would sit on the hill picking our favourite cars and dreaming of one day driving them ourselves.

Fast forward 20 years and I was sitting on that same hill with Les and Ed welling up with tears and ultimate pride as Rod rolled around the bottom of the track in his debut race, he was last by a long way but he was living the dream.

Years later I asked him what it was like to drive them and he explained it this way; "it's like driving at 160km/h and then suddenly turning left, on mud"

the guys that drive these things have the some of the biggest balls in the world.

What's funny is I still remember that first night the best, apart from that was the night that two cousins sat in the back room of a car yard trying to figure out how to use a chinese vinyl cuttinng software to cut flames out of vinyl, after about 3 or 4 hours we had one little flame cut out a bit rough but it looked okay, I would never have imagined what Rod achieved with that little machine, it was amazing, he turned around and delivered the best looking car in the field, years before the rest had flames Rod had them, and what's better is that he did it himself whilst the other boys got professional sign companies to dress their cars.

Rod also had his best results with that flaming blue car, it seemed he had an added confidence when he drove.

Far and away my favourite car that he ever drove.

Happy Birthday Rod!

Sorry this looks a bit dodgy I drew it whilst laying on the lounge and I fell asleep and forgot to post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment