what the hell is this about?

Several friends have embarked on their own P365 journey but as I have no camera nor an eye for photography I've decided to try to complete "a doodle a day" for an entire year. Most will be in my little Derwent A5 sketch book but some could end up being from the corner of some document or scribbled on a newspaper. As the year progresses I will try my hand at inking them as well?

If some of them don't make sense, don't worry, they're probably not meant to. You may notice there will be certain themes along the way and if you know me you'll know why.

I hope you enjoy.

Okay, here goes, every day til I'm 39.

Friday, January 28, 2011

Day #249 - the importance of an O Ring


I can't believe that it was 25 years ago today that I watched the Challenger go up in smoke, I distinctly remember the shock as I saw it I couldn't understand the enormity of what just happened, that was 7 people gone in an instant and the NASA space program would be set back a decade.

I remember in the weeks after after seeing it replayed hundreds of time and hearing that they found a foot on a beach somewhere but nothing else and they came out with the reason why it blew up, it turned out to be a cheap rubber O ring either failing or not being there, a little ring of rubber.

I would love to see what we could achieve if we stopped fighting and spent our energies on discovering space.

I doubt that I'll see that happen in my lifetime but I really hope my kids get to see it or at least the beginnings of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment