what the hell is this about?

Several friends have embarked on their own P365 journey but as I have no camera nor an eye for photography I've decided to try to complete "a doodle a day" for an entire year. Most will be in my little Derwent A5 sketch book but some could end up being from the corner of some document or scribbled on a newspaper. As the year progresses I will try my hand at inking them as well?

If some of them don't make sense, don't worry, they're probably not meant to. You may notice there will be certain themes along the way and if you know me you'll know why.

I hope you enjoy.

Okay, here goes, every day til I'm 39.

Monday, January 3, 2011

Day #224 - DK


Today I broke out my Donkey Kong T-Shirt, I'm too afraid to wear it out in public for fear that I might get bashed or admired.

So I thought I'd draw Donkey's 'side art' from the original machine.

Arcade machines back in the early 80s were extremely difficult and Donkey Kong is no exception, to get through the first 4 levels is an achievement within itself, the spring level is a nightmare, it just seems you have no time at all.

some cool things about Donkey Kong, it was the BEST game and watch that Nintendo produced (IMHO) and was very cool in it's double screen technology.

Kid of today might be stunned to find out that this is where Mario came from, the character that Nintendo have built their brand around.

I've always found it kinda cool that the 'villian' in the game is the character everybody liked.

If you haven't seen it I highly recommend watching "the King of Kong, a fist full of quarters" it's a great documentary about 2 guys fighting it out for the all time top score on Donkey Kong, it sounds really bad but it is really a cool doco it highlights how weird the world of arcade games truly is, it inspired me to see how I could score on Twin Galaxies on my 720 degrees machine, I'm about 4th at the moment.

anyway, it's 1am and I'm daddy daycare this week so I'd better get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment