what the hell is this about?

Several friends have embarked on their own P365 journey but as I have no camera nor an eye for photography I've decided to try to complete "a doodle a day" for an entire year. Most will be in my little Derwent A5 sketch book but some could end up being from the corner of some document or scribbled on a newspaper. As the year progresses I will try my hand at inking them as well?

If some of them don't make sense, don't worry, they're probably not meant to. You may notice there will be certain themes along the way and if you know me you'll know why.

I hope you enjoy.

Okay, here goes, every day til I'm 39.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Day #129 - IG-88


I don't know what possessed me to draw a robot whom is predominantly black but here is my crazy logic as to why.

1st: I promised Hawk I would (most important)
2nd: although he only appeared for a moment and never moved IG-88 had an amazing following.

Why number 2? well I think it came down to the artists that George Lucas got to work for him on Empire, think about it, out of all the 6 Star Wars films Empire had without a doubt the best ships and coolest characters and the level of detail was almost Japanese-like. In the opening scene we have the Imperial Probe Droids deployed to the "Ice Planet" of Hoth, how do you make an ice planet interesting? especially on a big screen? everything is white! well, what did George's boys do? well, you have to take your hat off to the art department, in the first scene they introduce 5 of the most memorable Star Wars things, firstly, the Imperial Probe Droid, then the Tauntaun, then the Snowspeeder (still my favourite craft), then the AT-AT and lastly the AT-ST and this is in the first 20 minutes!

What did George deliver to these guys as a reward after they dominated with sheer brilliance? oh, the characters fly off to a city in the clouds (white clouds, more bloody white) whilst Luke goes off to a swamp planet to talk to an overgrown 900 year old frog.

Dagobah looked like a shithole and Yoda (although I love him) looked like he should have been on the muppets. I believe that they did all they could here and did it well, it was here that we saw the levels of "the force" with Yoda lifting the X-wing from the swamp. A glowing ghostly Ben Kenobi was also pretty cool, even if he was introduced to offset the muppetness of Yoda.

the rest of the movie was set in the cloud city, which in effect was just a building/factory, how boring? well, this is where we saw the coolest character in the entire franchise, Boba Fett.
As well as the other bounty hunters, most notably Bossk and IG-88, they got about 30 seconds of screen time but I still remember that scene more than any other. Then they froze Han, another awesome piece and then finally we get a glimpse of Slave 1 (Boba's ship) which is another article of design magic.

The movie ends with the lame "Luke I'm your father bit" but just before it does end we see Luke receive his prosthetic robot hand. (very cool)

Empire is the one I've seen the least out of the original franchise but it is easily the best so far as design and characters go.

I'd like to know how much screen time IG-88 received, I'm almost positive he never moved and was only seen for about 30 seconds yet every Star Wars fan knows who he/it was.

I would have drawn more but I'd already used half a pencil :)

No comments:

Post a Comment