what the hell is this about?

Several friends have embarked on their own P365 journey but as I have no camera nor an eye for photography I've decided to try to complete "a doodle a day" for an entire year. Most will be in my little Derwent A5 sketch book but some could end up being from the corner of some document or scribbled on a newspaper. As the year progresses I will try my hand at inking them as well?

If some of them don't make sense, don't worry, they're probably not meant to. You may notice there will be certain themes along the way and if you know me you'll know why.

I hope you enjoy.

Okay, here goes, every day til I'm 39.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day #122 - Robby the Robot


this one is for Asher, man this book takes hours to draw!!

Robby is from the 1956 film Forbidden Planet and is one of the many iconic robots in the Sci-Fi world but he was definitely one of the first (apart from the robot from the day the earth stood still and the chick robot from Metropolis).

I'm fairly sure that the Robinson's robot came after Robby but am not totally sure?

for me growing up robots have by far been my most favourite things in movies and TV shows, it would have started with C3P0 and R2D2 for sure but whilst sitting here (and in no particular order) these are the robots that I remember most; lost in space robot, the Daleks, K-9, the Cylons, the evil robot from the Black Hole, that silly one from Buck Rogers, the robot dog from Battlestar Galactica, Rosie from the Jetsons, Dexter from Perfect Match and of course the Terminator.

and those are the first that spring to mind, I would imagine that there are 100s more if I sat here and thought about it.

Obviously I won't be able to draw all of these, although I'll try to get out a large amount done.

Well Asher, I hope you like this one? it's not as good as I'd like it but it'll have to do.

2 comments:

  1. I love it Glen, your shading is getting so sweet. Can I suggest a topic where you can put it to good use on highlights and curves? Hot screen babes! You know you wanna do it!

    asher (in devilish mood)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right about Robbie appearing BEFORE Robot in the Lost In Space Series. In fact Robbie makes a guest appearance as a derelict machine, which Will repairs and reactivates, only to caouse some serious trouble for the Robinsons. (No, Really?)

    ReplyDelete