what the hell is this about?

Several friends have embarked on their own P365 journey but as I have no camera nor an eye for photography I've decided to try to complete "a doodle a day" for an entire year. Most will be in my little Derwent A5 sketch book but some could end up being from the corner of some document or scribbled on a newspaper. As the year progresses I will try my hand at inking them as well?

If some of them don't make sense, don't worry, they're probably not meant to. You may notice there will be certain themes along the way and if you know me you'll know why.

I hope you enjoy.

Okay, here goes, every day til I'm 39.

Friday, September 24, 2010

Day #123 - Cartoon robots :(


I was going to draw something for Fluey leaving but I was too hungover from lunch, in fact I passed out just after finishing this off around 8:30.

Robots in cartoons seem to be in there for all the wrong reasons (barring Bender of course).

Rosie was pretty cool but an extreme stereotype, showing that sexism will still be hugely entrenched in the future.

7Zark7 for all his coolness and R2D2-ness ended up just being the narrator in Battle of the Planets (GForce).

Can anyone think of any cool robots from cartoons?

and H.E.R.B.I.E. was introduced so that kids wouldn't set themselves on fire trying to be the Human Torch, talk about the epitome of lame!

I almost included T-bob from M.A.S.K. but he was too ridiculous to warrant a drawing.

Why is it that robots in movies are ultra cool yet in cartoons they suck? apart from the Transformers and Bender all others seem to be for comic relief but fail that grade miserably.

Then there are ripoffs that are even worse (gobots).

Mecha (human operated robots) seem to be the only saving grace, think Voltron, Macross, Robotech etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment