what the hell is this about?

Several friends have embarked on their own P365 journey but as I have no camera nor an eye for photography I've decided to try to complete "a doodle a day" for an entire year. Most will be in my little Derwent A5 sketch book but some could end up being from the corner of some document or scribbled on a newspaper. As the year progresses I will try my hand at inking them as well?

If some of them don't make sense, don't worry, they're probably not meant to. You may notice there will be certain themes along the way and if you know me you'll know why.

I hope you enjoy.

Okay, here goes, every day til I'm 39.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Day #110 - Waste Management Country Style


We hired a decent sized box trailer to do the tip runs but the local tip (in Spring Ridge) wasn't open on Saturdays so we had to drive back to Quirindi (about an hour's drive away) to dump the load.

I had loaded this trailer up over the top to try to get as much as I could into this tip run as I knew it would be the only one we'd be able make on that day due to the local tip not being open until Sunday morning (we made 5 tip runs on Sunday). Well, as I said I'd overloaded the trailer and we had also filled the back of the commodore station wagon to the brim.

When we arrived at the tip which the entrance to was hidden and it took us two tries to find we approached the "Waste Depot Overseer" with our bulging load. Well in the country it's not as cut and dry as us urban dwellers, no scales neccessary but more so the amazing eye of judgement of the "Waste Depot Overseer".

Beers come in 6packs and cases, Hay in bales, and refuse, well refuse only comes in "wheelie bins", apparently ever since the local councils setup a garbage pickup run and supplied everybody with wheelie bins then from that time onward all rubbish would be managed in that way, keep it simple for the folk.

Anyway, the "Overseer" would come out and assess my load, he'd scratch his chin and stroke his beard whilst sizing it up, to which he'd come to the conclusion that I had "about 2 wheelie bins worth".

They must have the world's largest wheelie bins because I had about 2 worth just in the back of the car let alone the trailer.

So I had to part with my $6 and dump my load.

by the end of the weekend we had completed 6 trips to the tip and handed over $36 in dumping fees, each time the "Overseer" would assess us as having "about 2 wheelie bins worth".

This was one of the funniest experiences and one of the only good memories from a horrible weekend.

2 comments: