what the hell is this about?

Several friends have embarked on their own P365 journey but as I have no camera nor an eye for photography I've decided to try to complete "a doodle a day" for an entire year. Most will be in my little Derwent A5 sketch book but some could end up being from the corner of some document or scribbled on a newspaper. As the year progresses I will try my hand at inking them as well?

If some of them don't make sense, don't worry, they're probably not meant to. You may notice there will be certain themes along the way and if you know me you'll know why.

I hope you enjoy.

Okay, here goes, every day til I'm 39.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Day #116 - DJ Vijay of the East Delhi Massive


Unbeknownst to most westerners is the fact that the northern states in India have quite the thriving underground party scene.

The party-goers all dance in synchronisation and the DJs are treated like gods, they are regarded just below Shiva and cricket.

2 distinct factions have formed, the West Bombay Collective and the East Delhi Massive.

One of the masters of the decks is DJ Vijay, his sets at the nightclub "Ganesh's Laundry" consistently attracts the most influential people in the underground movement which further boosts his cult following.

DJ Vijay shot to fame remixing Ravi Shankar with Big Beat and Speed Garage in the late 90s but changed tack at the birth of the new millennium focusing on hip hop blended with hardcore tabla and sitar which resulted in a new genre called "Fully Sikh"

so he is naturally known as the Fully Sikh DJ Vijay of the East Delhi Massive!


2 comments:

  1. Well this gives me mixed feelins, cos it is a really nicely shaded pic, big fella, but a bit dodgy

    ReplyDelete
  2. this wasn't meant to be a racist slur, I'm really sorry if it's come across that way.

    ReplyDelete