what the hell is this about?

Several friends have embarked on their own P365 journey but as I have no camera nor an eye for photography I've decided to try to complete "a doodle a day" for an entire year. Most will be in my little Derwent A5 sketch book but some could end up being from the corner of some document or scribbled on a newspaper. As the year progresses I will try my hand at inking them as well?

If some of them don't make sense, don't worry, they're probably not meant to. You may notice there will be certain themes along the way and if you know me you'll know why.

I hope you enjoy.

Okay, here goes, every day til I'm 39.

Monday, October 4, 2010

Day #133 - the Iron Giant


Another suggestion from Frank Arrigo. (sorry, I'm too tired to shade it)

There's no secret that I'm a huge fan of Hayao Miyazaki, so much so I bought his semi auto-biography, it was translated into English and was originally written in 1996 so it doesn't include the Disney repackaged films he's made (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle & Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea). So I started reading this and surprisingly the forward was written by John Lasseter, whom is also one of my heroes, he directed a few films that you may have heard of, Toy Story 1&2, A Bug's life and Cars but not the Incredibles.

This is what I couldn't understand, as he was/is Pixar's main man (well, next to Steve Jobs that is) why didn't he direct one of their coolest movies.

The Incredibles was released in 2004.

So who did he entrust this too? well a little known guy called Brad Bird, what had Brad Bird done I thought? well it turned out that he directed a couple (2) of Simpsons episodes back in the early 90s and 1 episode of Amazing Stories in the late 80s. Apart from that the only thing he'd made was a feature length cartoon called "the Iron Giant" in 1999.

Obviously I had to check out this film.

Oh, how glad was I that I did, the Iron Giant is a beautiful movie about a young boy who befriends an alien robot that the government wants to destroy and the young 9 year old Hogarth tries to hide this robot in a junkyard.

After watching it you can understand why the Pixar reigns were handed to him for the Incredibles.

It's rare that a cartoon about a robot not made in Japan receives a cult following but this movie does it.

I highly recommend that you watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment