what the hell is this about?

Several friends have embarked on their own P365 journey but as I have no camera nor an eye for photography I've decided to try to complete "a doodle a day" for an entire year. Most will be in my little Derwent A5 sketch book but some could end up being from the corner of some document or scribbled on a newspaper. As the year progresses I will try my hand at inking them as well?

If some of them don't make sense, don't worry, they're probably not meant to. You may notice there will be certain themes along the way and if you know me you'll know why.

I hope you enjoy.

Okay, here goes, every day til I'm 39.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Day #63 - Penelope Pitstop


Wacky Races was another in a long line of Hanna-Barbera favourites, it centred around 11 different types of 'wacky' race cars along with their matching drivers, I think my favourite would have to be the number 2 car of the Gruesome Twosome, it was a haunted house car driven by a Frankenstein and a big Lurch type of character and there was also a dragon that used to pop out from time to time to help fly them over gaps.
Penelope Pitstop was always present and rarely picked upon (probably as she was the only female).
The inspiration for this cartoon came from the classic movie "The Great Race" but Tony Curtis' classic character had a poor copy with Peter Perfect but on the flipside, Jack Lemon's Professor Fate saw the introduction of Dick Dastardly and Muttley whom set out to booby-trap every other racer in the same fashion and would be remembered well beyond this cartoon.
Muttley's snickering laugh must be the thing everybody would remember from this cartoon.

Apologies for the shakiness of the drawing I've not been well.

No comments:

Post a Comment