what the hell is this about?

Several friends have embarked on their own P365 journey but as I have no camera nor an eye for photography I've decided to try to complete "a doodle a day" for an entire year. Most will be in my little Derwent A5 sketch book but some could end up being from the corner of some document or scribbled on a newspaper. As the year progresses I will try my hand at inking them as well?

If some of them don't make sense, don't worry, they're probably not meant to. You may notice there will be certain themes along the way and if you know me you'll know why.

I hope you enjoy.

Okay, here goes, every day til I'm 39.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day #54 - THE MASTER by Earle Taylor

THE MASTER by Earle Taylor

Man is master of his machines
And he masters all he can
But he can not change the course of fate
For fate is the master of man.

Fate is the master of happenings
And the master of things that wait
But it can not master the ways of god
For god is the master of fate.

God is the master of fate and man
And he masters the even and odd
But no one can ever change his plans
For no one is the master of god.

My old CSC & Wenty Leagues CC cohort Greg Taylor asked me if I would be interested in reading some of his grandfather's poems and drawing my interpretation of them, I am extremely honoured to be doing this and I have decided that I will do one each saturday for the next 3 weeks.

These poems were written by Earle Taylor whilst serving in El Alamein during World War II. The Allied victory at El Alamein turned the tide in the North African Campaign. It ended Axis hopes of occupying Egypt, taking control of the Suez Canal, and gaining access to the Middle Eastern oil fields.

None of us could begin to imagine how frightening it would have been to be in El Alamein but out of that horror came a thing of beauty, after reading this I am even more honoured to scratch out my interpretation. Thanks Greg, I hope that you like it.



1 comment:

  1. Glen - as expected you have delivered a fantastic doodle! Well done mate, I am proud to be able to send this blog post all around the world to my extended family in memory of my grandfather Earle.

    LEGEND !!! I'm your fan for life.

    ReplyDelete