what the hell is this about?

Several friends have embarked on their own P365 journey but as I have no camera nor an eye for photography I've decided to try to complete "a doodle a day" for an entire year. Most will be in my little Derwent A5 sketch book but some could end up being from the corner of some document or scribbled on a newspaper. As the year progresses I will try my hand at inking them as well?

If some of them don't make sense, don't worry, they're probably not meant to. You may notice there will be certain themes along the way and if you know me you'll know why.

I hope you enjoy.

Okay, here goes, every day til I'm 39.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day #260 - Cliché art


Something has been bothering me since last Thursday night.

And I think it's because the wrong person won.

Secret Wars is a contest pitting two artists against each other over 90 minutes with nothing but black ink and a canvas.

there were a lot of things wrong (IMHO) with both artists but only one produced original art, although the main character of his piece (probably about 60% of the piece) was very weak it was at least original (haha just heard Brooke Shields say cliché about 5 times on the Tonight Show), the guy that won drew little characters that you've seen a hundred times over in different street art works, so, unless he is the person that is goin around doing all of these works (which I very much doubt) he's just reproducing other people's ideas.
I did like the winners lettering although it wasn't a writing contest was it?

I'm really hoping that round 2 will showcase 2 unique artists to really show what Sydney can produce, considering this is a competition with global exposure it was a little embarrassing to see what these two 'artists' produced on behalf of the Sydney art community.

HAaaaaaaaaa, now I feel better, geez I'm on a rant quest today.

sorry....

2 comments:

  1. Wow Glen, I so get ya. Was also disappointed by the two pictures. Love your Cliche parody. Is that a Vaughn Bodé tribute/reference I see?

    asher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, Vaughn Bode would have to be the most referenced artist in street art

    ReplyDelete