what the hell is this about?

Several friends have embarked on their own P365 journey but as I have no camera nor an eye for photography I've decided to try to complete "a doodle a day" for an entire year. Most will be in my little Derwent A5 sketch book but some could end up being from the corner of some document or scribbled on a newspaper. As the year progresses I will try my hand at inking them as well?

If some of them don't make sense, don't worry, they're probably not meant to. You may notice there will be certain themes along the way and if you know me you'll know why.

I hope you enjoy.

Okay, here goes, every day til I'm 39.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day #254 - Mr Turnip Head


Tonight on SBS aired Howl's Moving Castle.

Hayao Miyazaki is easily one of my favourite directors, animators and story tellers.

every single one of his films is an automatic classic.

It's funny, the first that I ever saw was My Neighbour Totoro, which is still my favourite, closely followed by the castle of Cagliostro, I still cry every time I watch Spirited Away.

What can I say, he just doesn't make a bad film. ever.

Howl's is a very cool movie but the character the really moved me was Mr Turnip Head, he was a scarecrow, consisting of a stick with a ball on it and an inanimate face but somehow he conveyed emotion and movement, only a genius could do that.
And it was ironic that Mr Turnip Head saved them in the end and subsequently stopped the war.
Like No Face in Spirited Away.

Hawk has his assessment day for Kindy tomorrow and I'm so excited for him that I can't sleep. I can't believe that my little boy whom I used to hold in one arm is going to big school, he probably isn't even bothered about it but I plan to have a special day with him tomorrow. I am truly grateful that my work and my boss allows me the flexibility to be able to witness these once in a lifetime happenings, I'll miss his first day of school next monday but Vic will be there for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment